Hello!

Well, there’s a first time for everything! This is officially my first blog post, and my first time participating in Google Season of Docs - and I couldn’t be more excited!

First, a little about me. 

My name is Cadi and I live in New Zealand, with my husband, on a 42ft yacht. 
You will often find us away from the dock, anchored in a beautiful corner of the Hauraki Gulf.



In my spare time I love sailing (obviously!), hiking (or tramping, as we call it here), mountaineering, painting and travelling (when the world isn’t in the middle of a pandemic, of course). My favourite place in the world is Milford Sound, followed very closely by Disneyland.

I am a pilot by trade, and in the last 10 years I’ve flown everything from 2-seater Cessnas in outback Australia, to the Boeing 737 on international operations. 

So... you might be wondering exactly how I got into technical writing in the first place? 

A few years ago I was asked to rewrite an entire suite of Operating Manuals for the company I was working for. I never considered myself a writer before this - and in fact English was the one subject I dropped as soon as I could in high school - but that was the moment I realised that technical writing combines all the things I enjoy the most. 

It requires problem-solving, attention to detail, and organisation. It requires you to see things from many different perspectives, and asks you to take a walk in someone else’s shoes. Great documentation is a thing of beauty; it can take an ordinary product and make it extraordinary. 

When I found out about the Google Season of Docs programme I knew I had to apply. When I found ScummVM listed on the list of organisations I knew it was the right fit for me; growing up in the 90s those early games were staples of my childhood. 

I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you in this awesome community, and I can’t wait to make some great documentation for a great project. 

Cadi

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Season of Docs: Project Report - Launch a Documentation Portal

Season of Docs: Week 5

Season of Docs: Week 7