Season of Docs: Week 1

Well it’s nice to officially be underway! I’m happy to report that I’m ahead of my proposed timeline at the moment; some things that I expected to be time consuming have turned out to be pretty straightforward, and my proposal ended up with a lot more content in the prototype portal than I initially intended. All of which is to say that I’m very hopeful that this portal will be even more comprehensive than initially envisaged!  

A decision was made to focus (for now) on documentation for the more common ports - Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS and Android - so that has been my focus this week. I have first drafts in place for  “Getting Started” documents for most of those ports, which cover how to install ScummVM as well as how to get the game files where they need to be. 


My somewhat revised timeline now looks like this for the next few weeks:


Week 1 (this week): 

Getting Started:

Write draft install/quick start docs for Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android.


Week 2: 

Using ScummVM:

•  The launcher - New screenshots and general edits.

•  Game/global settings - Edit engine-specific settings for clarity, general edits.

Advanced Options:

•  Configuration file - Rewrite. Possibly include the config keywords in the game/global settings pages and keep the contents of this page limited to “how to find” and “how to use” the config file.   


Week 3: 

Using ScummVM:

•  Keyboard shortcuts - Figure out the best way to display these!

•  Controls - Draft for control mapping on iOS/Android.

Advanced Options:

•  Command line interface - Edit to improve readability/usability.

•  Graphic filters and render modes - First draft.


I’ll probably keep making minor adjustments to this timeline in my weekly blog updates. 


Documentation can be viewed at https://scummvm-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/


Well, I better get back to it. As always, hit me up on Discord with any ideas, thoughts or suggestions!


  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Season of Docs: Project Report - Launch a Documentation Portal

Season of Docs: Week 5

Season of Docs: Week 7