Season of Docs: Week 5

 I’ve had a very productive week, now that my personal life has calmed down a bit. I added v2.2.0 information, and finished off the audio and graphics pages. I also created first drafts of the new “saving and loading games” page, as well as contacts, bug reporting, known problems, games notes and copy protection pages. 


A catch up with @Mataniko this morning has been very helpful to determine the path forward for the rest of the project, now that the bulk of the information is there. We spoke about what belongs in the documentation, and what doesn’t - and it was decided that things like “Games notes” from the readme, which I experimented with this week, will remain in the wiki, or will be added to the wiki if not there already. 


We also spoke about the user experience when navigating the documentation, so for the next week or two I will be tweaking the structure to make sure that the user gets the best possible outcome:


Week 6

Re-arranging the docs :

•  The settings pages as they are now have become much more involved than I realised they would be, and they are becoming challenging to navigate successfully on a single page. They will now have their own section in the docs - possibly even split into a section for global settings and a section for game-specific settings. Each settings tab will have its own page, containing full explanations of the relevant settings, instead of linking to explanatory pages (such as the audio/graphics pages currently).

•  The Using ScummVM section will be all about the user experience - how do I use the software to play the games.  Any information that doesn’t fit with this goal will be moved into other sections or pages. 

•  I’ll be adding a page (or pages) to point users to the appropriate places to find information about:

•  Where to get the games

•  Game compatibility/supported games

•  Data files

These subjects are not, by themselves, within the scope of this documentation project.


Week 7


•  The FAQ - I want to focus on the troubleshooting section of the FAQ, and I will probably name it as such in the Help section of the docs. Here I will need some help! 

Can I please get feedback on 1. What ARE the most common issues that people have? and 2. How a user would go about solving these problems? I haven’t had the opportunity to spend much time on the forums, but I suspect these most common questions probably come up a lot on the forums. Please tell me what they are! 

My hope is that the documentation will answer a lot of these questions, and I will just be able to link to the appropriate docs for the most part (and add information to the docs to cover the issue). 



Docs-in-progress are available at scummvm-documentation.readthedocs.io, merged docs at docs.scummvm.org.


As always, I welcome feedback, criticism and suggestions! 


See you on Discord,


Cadi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Season of Docs: Project Report - Launch a Documentation Portal

Season of Docs: Week 7