Season of Docs: Week 7

 What I accomplished during week 7:


•  Started an FAQ. It’s got the basics, but I need more! Please keep the questions coming, I’ve only had two responses.... Link to Google Form here. The FAQ still has formatting issues and definitely some grammar/spelling issues, so don’t judge too harshly (yet). 

•  Created an “Other platforms” section, containing port-specific guides according to the agreed structure. I think they work quite well.

•  Replaced the GIFs on the iOS page. I’m much happier with how they are now. Feedback on the use of GIFs vs screenshots would be appreciated.

•  Added a “Release notes” section. 

•  Moved extra information out of the Settings pages and into a new “Guides” section. 

•  Got very, very confused by Git. At least now I (kind of) understand how to rebase. I think. Maybe. 


I had a meeting with @mataniko this morning, and we discussed how to go about setting minimum requirements for documentation moving forward. It’s been decided that a new “documentation guide” will go into the wiki. I still consider it to be a part of this project regardless of where it’s kept, since without it we run the very real risk of ending up with out-of-date documentation in no time at all. 


We also spoke about which ports to document next, and we decided to focus on those that are currently actively maintained. 


The last point we touched on was the FAQ. In addition to what’s there now (and in addition to other questions that come in from the community), we have decided to try using some “leading questions” to raise awareness around some of the newer features of ScummVM, such as Cloud and LAN functionality. 


Timeline for the next couple of weeks:


Week 8:

•  Documentation guide - Working with @mataniko, he will define what the requirements are from the developers with regards to documentation for new features. I will work on a guide (which will get any future technical writers coming in without prior knowledge of the project up to speed) - the style guide to follow, docs-as-code and github, commit requirements, and how to set up a local instance of Sphinx. 

•  Settings - Following a handy tip from @criezy, I’ll go through some of the code to make sure I’ve captured all the GUI options - some of this may end up in the port pages. 

•  FAQ - Continue working on this; more questions, easier navigation, and a general tidy up, proofread, edit...

•  Ports - Continue adding (maintained) ports. I’ll be reaching out to porters for information. I’ll also work to align the iOS and Android pages a bit better with the others.

•  Proofreading! Editing! Checking links! Ensuring docs are compliant with the Google style guide. 


Week 9:

•  Continue work on Ports and FAQ as I get information. 

•  Work towards final drafts of all pages. 

•  What will the PDF output look like?  LaTex customization. 

•  Start looking at customizing the theme; icon, colors, fonts, how it looks. This includes fixing table output (word wrapping issue). 


Again, I’m reaching out for help. There’s a lot of content on the portal now, we’re getting towards the end, and I NEED FACT CHECKERS. I don’t know what I don’t know, and I don’t necessarily know if I’ve explained something the right way. Maybe it isn’t clear, or I could explain it better. Be brutal. Tell me where the deficiencies are!! Also, I know many of you are not native speakers of English. I’ve tried to be mindful of this, but please let me know if I need to simplify something. I’ve been heads down in this project for a long time now, sometimes I get too caught up and can’t see the obvious. 


The docs are available here.


As always, see you on Discord!


Cadi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Season of Docs: Project Report - Launch a Documentation Portal

Season of Docs: Week 5